Tuesday, February 22, 2011

london fashion week: matthew williamson love!

despite being a lover of all things american, and most of all our rich american design heritage, the one designer who has had my heart since he came on to the scene is english. matthew williamson is my design soulmate. his use of print, color and texture is all that i aspire to as a designer.
one of my pivotal fashion memories is digging through my mothers underwear drawer for slips to borrow and coming across a mini slip in a bright geometric print. it looked nothing like the other nude and black lacie things in the drawer. it had a small label with the simple bold print: PUCCI. i went to my mother and asked if pucci is like gucci. she laughed and said no, pucci was a designer from the 60's that loved bright prints. i kept that slip and though it has never fit me i have kept it rolled up in my underwear drawer as a little inspiration.
probably about the time i was having that conversation with my mother a young matthew williamson was graduating from central saint martians school of design in london and just embarking on his career. eventually in 2005 he would go on to become creative director of the house of pucci. besides pucci williamson has had great success with his own line. as always his fall 2011 show has blown me away. i have a lot to share hope you enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...