Wednesday, May 4, 2011

weddings

all the pictures of the royal wedding had me thinking about my future wedding... how can you not? the idea that every little girl dreams of their wedding day really did not apply to me growing up. my parents had essentially eloped in a tiny Quaker ceremony with only 4 of their friends present and none of their family. this gave me the sense that Quaker weddings were small and simple and i spent the first 20 years of my life assuming mine would be too. 

newlyweds
july 24, 1983

but when i got to college i made friends with Catholic girls and girls from the south who talked and dreamed about their big fancy weddings. i don't mean to make myself out to be naive but i had just never really thought about it. upon moving to new york and starting work in the fashion industry weddings inevitable came to be a part of my work. we often were working on custom wedding dresses and bridesmaid dress in our sample room. as a trim and embellishment designer i was given the opportunity to make hair pieces and veils for brides. here i was the simple Quaker making beautiful things for big fancy weddings...

...that leaves me day dreaming about my own wedding one day. and thinking maybe it will not be as simple as my parents. if you too are day dreaming about your wedding (or even planning a real one) you should check out my three favorite weddings blogs:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...