Thursday, March 17, 2011

quilt

i previewed my quilt last week when it was just a huge pile of 2x2 squares. it has come a long way since then. i actual started this quilt two years ago but at some pointed it got abandoned and put in a box under my bed. but after doing that baby quilt i was thinking how i wanted to make a grown up quilt...and then i kind of remember; wait i already started one. so i dug the bags and bags of 4" squares out from under my bed and started again. 

my in-progress quilt

i don't pretend to be a real quilter. my quilt is what they would call a crazy quilt. crazy quilts actually have a rich history. the most famous group of crazy quilters are the women of Gee's, Bend Alabama. starting in the 1920's these women developed there own distinctive style of quilting. derived partly out of necessity and partly of pure creativity. their quilts were made completely of found fabric; old clothes, bed sheets and worn table clothes. but the best part was that they did not feel limited to the finished rectangle. they started quilting and when they finished the quilt was done.

Gee's Bend quilt (1962)

my crazy quilt is just simple squares, not so free and inspired as Gee's Bend. but it is definitely found fabric. i have my 8th grade graduation dress, my parents bed sheets, an old pair of corduroys and a plaid bandanna from my moms childhood...as well as lots of fabric from my time as a dress designer. so far all the squares are sewn together but i am waiting on the batting to come in the mail this weekend. hopefully i will be able to finish and share it next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...