Saturday, January 22, 2011

an idea

i went into my meeting yesterday so excited and nervous. i lead with handing out my business card. one of the people in the meeting immediately commented that is was a "sharp" business card. phew...i was a little worried some might view is as "crafty."

i then launched into my presentation of my inspiration boards and layout sketches. i realised as i was talking this was the closest thing to a critique i had had since college...but these were not teachers and peers; this was the President, Vice President, Director of Sales, and Senior Designer of reputable New York trim company. i paused, took a deep breath, and went on.

by the end of the 1 hour meeting i was handing over a set of inspiration boards and sketches. i had mixed feelings...i thought i was going to have a chance to expand on the boards. but no, now they had all that design work for a measly 3 billable hours. i felt robbed.

they did ask me to expand on one of the concepts which is good. but i need to think about how to give a monetary value to my work. this is not like other companies i am working with where they give me an inspiration idea and i am paid to execute it. this is different. how does one give a monetary value to an idea?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...