Friday, January 21, 2011

looking back

when i graduated from college in 2007 i was so quick to write off all the work i had done. i had the awkward situation of having my future boss as a celebrity critic for my thesis. and she hated it. so it was like "you want me to come work for you, but you don't like my work." ugh. as a result i completely distanced myself from that work. i even did something so stupid as not to pick up the professional photos of my thesis that the school paid to have taken. 

now all most 4 years later i have so few photos of my work from school. which is really sad. i worked really hard in college and had a really clear artistic vision that had not been soiled by actually working in the industry. i can also see now all the signs that i was already a trim and embellishment designer. i LOVE the details. i would spend 60 hours beading a neckline on a simple white dress. i would hand quilt with metallic thread. i would hand paint patterns on chiffon. unfortunately once up on a stage under bright lights most of these details were lost on the critics. but i didn't care, i loved the details, the silhouette was just an after thought for me.

now that i am designing on my own again i want get back to that pure inspiration and creativity that flowed so feeling in college...so i was thrilled this morning to find this picture of one for my college projects.

this is that coat that i hand quilted with metallic thread.


finally feeling really proud of this. still love the detail.

1 comment:

  1. you should be proud because it is beautiful!!!
    it's funny how the best lessons are learned in hindsight, isn't it???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...